Saturday, March 27, 2010

making things to hold the things you've made

I've been wanting a jewelry organizer for a long time. Not a box that covers everything up and results in tangles, not the several small dipping sauce plates I have held my stuff in for years, but a nice, wall-hanging organizer. I was drooling over a few on etsy, but never actually got around to buying one.

So, this morning I decided it was the day; I gathered some cardboard, paper, ribbon, mesh from my TJ's garlic and tons of hot glue and went to town.

1) first, I modpodged a piece of green-leafy paper on to some thick cardboard.
2) then, I decided there should probably be some space between the paper and mesh so that the earwires would have some room, so I lined the outsides of the rectangle with another layer of cardboard.
3) next step: hot gluing the mesh to the cardboard, which was tricky. I tried to stretch it well so that it wouldn't sag in the middle.
4) after that, I covered up all the blemishes by framing the rectangle with WAY too bright orange ribbon I had laying around.
5) then, for kicks, I used some thinner ribbon and hot glue to make some bracelet holders at the bottom.
6) hung it to my wall with 3Ms...

And, voila!


Though, I think I should have made it a bit bigger:

3 comments:

  1. Have you seen the jewellery organizer; Onmii?
    www.onmii.com Norwegian design

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute katie! It's always nice to get that stuff out of a tangle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you notice my "katie bug" earrings on the bottom there? i need to wear those more :)

    ReplyDelete